The 1982 no budget comedy-horror Basket Case is getting a limited edition 4K Blu-ray release from Arrow Video this April.
A movie we never expected to get a 4K Blu-ray release, Basket Case is about a man who carries around his deformed, formerly conjoined twin in a basket as they go after the doctors who separated them.
Yeah, it’s a weird movie, but if you’ve seen any of director Frank Henenlotter’s other films, like Brain Damage, you’ll have a good sense of what you’re in for (Brain Damage also has a funny Basket Case crossover moment).
Along with two sequels to Basket Case, Henenlotter also wrote and directed the 1990 film Frankenhooker, which is a similar premise to the Oscar-nominated Poor Things.
Here’s hoping we get 4K Blu-ray releases for all of those titles from Arrow Video as well.
Watch the trailer for Basket Case
Along with a brand new 4K restoration from the original 16mm negative by MoMA, the limited edition Basket Case 4K Blu-ray set comes with a collector’s booklet, double-sided fold-out poster, and a reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck.
Features on Arrow Video’s Basket Case 4K Blu-ray set
- 4K restoration from the original 16mm negative by MoMA
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with writer/director Frank Henenlotter and star Kevin VanHentenryck
- Archival audio commentary with Frank Henenlotter, producer Edgar Ievins, actor Beverly Bonner and filmmaker Scooter McRae
- Basket Case 3-1/2: An Interview with Duane Bradley – short film by Frank Henenlotter
- Me and the Bradley Boys – interview with actor Kevin VanHentenryck
- A Brief Interview with Director Frank Henenlotter – a strange 2017 interview with the director
- Seeing Double: The Basket Case Twins – interview with actors Florence and Maryellen Schultz
- Blood, Basket and Beyond – interview with actor Beverly Bonner
- The Latvian Connection – featurette including interviews with producer Edgar Ievins, casting person/actor Ilze Balodis, associate producer/special effects artist Ugis Nigals and Belial performer Kika Nigals
- Belial Goes to the Drive-In – interview with film critic Joe Bob Briggs
- Basket Case at MoMA – footage from the 2017 restoration premiere
- What’s in the Basket? – feature-length documentary covering the three films in the Basket Case series
- In Search of the Hotel Broslin – archival location featurette
- The Frisson of Fission: Basket Case, Conjoined Twins, and ‘Freaks’ in Cinema – video essay by Travis Crawford
- Slash of the Knife (1976, 30 mins) – short made by Frank Henenlotter featuring many of the same actors from Basket Case, including optional audio commentary with Frank Henenlotter and playwright Mike Bencivenga
- Basket Case and Slash of the Knife outtakes
- Belial’s Dream (2017, 5 mins) – animated short by filmmaker Robert Morgan
- Extensive image galleries
- Trailers, TV & radio spots
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
- Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
- Collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Michael Gingold and a Basket Case comic strip by artist Martin Traff
Arrow Video’s limited edition 4K Blu-ray Basket Case set will be released in Canada on April 30. You can pre-order it now on Amazon for $54.98.